Circumstances vary from family to family. Thursfields’ child arrangement solicitors offer tailored guidance to help you reach an amicable solution that is in the best interests of your children.

Family law - header image - kids walking to car

Child Arrangements Services

Although every divorce or separation is different, the welfare of children is often the most emotive factor. Whatever your personal situation, Thursfields’ experienced child arrangement solicitors are ready to help. Our services include:

  • Child arrangement orders
  • Living arrangements
  • Specific issue orders
  • Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service (CAFCASS)
  • Prohibited steps orders
  • Relocation
  • Grandparents’ rights
  • Child maintenance
  • Change of name

We are committed to agreeing child arrangements that will work in the best interests of your family.

Need Guidance from Specialist Child Arrangement Solicitors?

Steps to Simplify Child Arrangements

When separating there are many aspects to consider to ensure the welfare of children; including access, financial maintenance, relocation, and visitation rights for grandparents. Every family set up is different, so practicality is needed to find a suitable outcome for your personal circumstances.

Our child arrangement solicitors adopt a constructive attitude and always look to reach an amicable agreement without resorting to court action. 

If a cooperative approach proves difficult, we can help you pursue a child arrangement order instead, and will robustly defend your interests to ensure your concerns are addressed. Ultimately, we want to achieve the ideal outcome for your family.

No matter if you’re looking to set up a new child arrangement, are making changes to an existing one, or are looking to apply for a child arrangement order, we have the expertise and experience to help. 

Meet Our

Child Arrangement Solicitors

If you’re looking for bespoke advice regarding child arrangements, our team is here to help.

Key Contact

Shane Miller

Shane Miller

Director & Head of Family Law

A highly-motivated and driven lawyer, Shane specialises in complex financial disputes, matters involving children, living arrangements, wealth protection, and pre/post nuptial agreements.

Recognised by the Legal 500, Shane prides herself in taking a robust but practical approach that delivers a first class service that her clients can rely upon. Her leadership has led the Thursfields Family team to be regarded as a top tier legal department in the Legal 500 rankings.


Looking for more information about our range of child arrangement services? Get in touch with one of our experienced solicitors today.


Child Arrangement Advice

Our specialist child arrangement solicitors offer practical, compassionate advice that will help resolve your situation. Depending on your circumstances, your priorities could include access rights, limits to moving houses, financial arrangements, the rights of grandparents, and changing names. Because of these variations, we provide legal advice that is tailored to your personal circumstances. We’ll take the time to understand your situation, before making clear all of your available options.

We provide straightforward guidance around child maintenance, name changes, specific issue orders, CAFCASS, prohibited steps orders, and more. Our team is adept at demystifying the specifics of your case before outlining a clear, concise path towards resolution. As members of Resolution, our child arrangement solicitors will always look to prioritise a non-confrontational approach to your position.

Whatever you’re looking to achieve, we will always look to prioritise a plan of action that is designed to deliver on your objectives, while avoiding the stress and expense of going to court. If this isn’t possible, we will work tirelessly to achieve a swift and satisfactory resolution via litigation.

Helping You Plan for the Future

Assisting with child arrangements is just one area in which Thursfields specialises. If you’re going through a divorce or separation, this might be a good time to start thinking about the future. Following separation or divorce, we can help you amend a Will, change Powers of Attorney, plan for Inheritance Tax, and much more. Whatever your situation, we offer specialist guidance to help you adapt to changed circumstances.

Frequently Asked Questions

Child arrangements outline how children will be looked after following the divorce or separation of their parents. They deal with all aspects of the children’s lives, such as who they’ll reside with, where they’ll go to school, and whether any additional visitation rights are required.

Although no two families are quite the same, typical child contact arrangements often state one of the following:

  • The children will stay with their non-resident parent for a day and night at the weekend.
  • The children will visit their non-resident parent more than once in a week, for shorter periods of time, and won’t sleep over.

Issues surrounding child custody can be resolved amicably between both parents, usually with the support of specialist child arrangement solicitors. In more acrimonious situations where this isn’t possible, the parties can request a child arrangement order via the courts. A judge will then decide what they think is the most suitable outcome for the child.

Although it’s not necessary to seek legal advice when deciding how your children will be looked after, it’s recommended to speak to a specialist child arrangement solicitor at your earliest opportunity. They will examine all aspects of your situation and recommend what they believe is the best possible solution for your family.

Contact Our


Whether you’re expecting a swift, amicable resolution to child arrangements, or a complex route to court, our child arrangement solicitors are here to help.